Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snowstorms, cancellations, and a child getting old.

Sometimes I'm tempted to think God has a bad memory.

This week has been a crazy one here in the Fort.
On Tuesday they were predicting crazy amounts of snow and ice and the city started shutting down.
We had our first, that I can remember, "snow day" at work, and the kids were off a couple of days as well.
While grateful for a place to ride out the storm (although it ended up not being nearly as bad as predicted), plenty of food in the frig, and a furnace that fired exactly when it was supposed to -- I was very aware that there were those in my city who didn't have a safe, warm, welcoming place to get in out of the cold.
And it made me think..."Why is this still happening?"

On Friday, we were supposed to get together with friends we haven't been with since before their 4th child came into their lives.  I was so looking forward to this reconnection with a couple who are so life-giving to be with -- delightful is actually the word I would use for both of them.  Then, on Friday, one of their kiddos got sick, so we rescheduled for Saturday.  But, on Saturday evening I crashed, hard, and we had to cancel all together. 
What a bummer. 
In my disappointment, I found myself thinking..."Why is this still happening?"

Today, our oldest turned 18.
This child who came into our lives in miraculous ways as a tiny little 6 week old sweetheart.
He was, and continues to be, a reminder of how personal and deeply connected into our lives
God wants to be.
This child was tangible proof to a then
28 year old doubter.
He continues to do that for me.
Often, when Ben walks by me, or I get a text, or I'm dumping the 5 pairs of shoes he left by the front door, in his room...
I am reminded of the young woman I was, who was sure God had completely forgotten about her.

And then I looked back over my week...
and think about my questions about why...
       in a town with so much going right for it,
       we still have people sitting out in the cold
AND
      with a recovery that has really gone amazingly well,
      I'm still fighting for "normal"
and here's what I know:
I'm still tempted to think God has forgotten.
But he hasn't, He never could.
His answer now is the same answer it's always been...
HE HAS ME.
HE HAS US.
If we'll just decide -- that whatever it is we have to offer -- it might make a difference at the point of the world's deep need.

Today, during church, I looked over my shoulder and saw my man-son standing there singing.
     I'm pressed but not crushed
     Persecuted not abandoned
    Struck down but not destroyed 
    I'm blessed  beyond the curse for his promise will endure,
   And His joy's gonna be my strength.

And all of a sudden I knew -- God never forgets.
He just always knows best.

I hope if you've been tempted to think you and your situation have been forgotten this week -- you'll remember that it's just not possible.  You matter.  Your life and the way you're living make a difference.

Still more than grateful,
Suze

1 comment: