Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Recovery - Day 13 - The "Eyes" Have It!

Wednesday, 10.20.10 - It occurs to me that 25 years ago this week (Sweetest Day, to be exact), I proposed to the love of my life, asking her to be my partner in the adventure of our live.  The best par of that day was her response - the energetic "Yes!" that was expressed not only in her voice but through her eyes.

As I thought of that sacred turning point in our relationship nearly a quarter of a century before (That makes us sound ancient) in light of this recent stretch of physical, emotional & spiritual challenge, I find myself feeling grateful for the opportunity of loving & being loved well by Suze.

Someone once said, "The soul that can speak with its eyes can also kiss with a gaze."  I believe that's exactly what I've experienced every time I've held her gaze.  It was her eyes that grabbed my attention when we first met in the choir loft where the altos ended & the tenors began, quickening my heart rate.  It was through her eyes that I first experienced the painful realization that I had hurt her deeply & it was through her eyes that I experienced true forgiveness in spite of that hurt.  When we first held each of our children, liquid joy from her heart poured out of her eyes.  More recently, it was in the moments just before we parted in the hallway leading to the OR, where we experienced a very brief but very intimate transaction of appreciation & longing for a lifetime of "Yes!"  In that moment, no words needed to be spoken!

I am grateful for this beautiful life we have been privileged to share together.  I am grateful for her eyes that still reflect the deep love & passion first for God & then for me; one that that burns white-hot within her.  Thank you God for granting us this time we have together, for bringing into my life one who has loved me so well.  And thank you God for the windows into her heart through which I see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment