Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Secret Gardens, Special Friends & Silly Songs

Today was a good day, mainly because the antibiotics kicked in!  Suze felt a bit better & that seemed to tip the scale in her favor.  Although it was windy (who would've thought we'd be facing tornadoes in October?) & clear, a beautiful fall blue sky.  And that meant a road trip to the Secret Garden!

Actually, it's not that secret (Foster Park) but it is quite beautiful.  There is a tranquil spot in this park that Suze often goes to clear her head, pray, write, etc.  We took a slow walk & enjoyed the beautiful flowers (yes they're still there).  It was life-giving to Suze to have the sun on her face, the wind in her hair & allow God to speak to her soul through His creation.  I'm amazed at the way God can use nature to bring healing to the mind & spirit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a worshipper of nature; I'm a worshipper of the One who created it all "In the beginning..."

Later in the day, Suze enjoyed a visit with a dear friend who brightened the living room with laughter & conversation.  I cleared out, doing household chores (laundry just doesn't stop; where does it all come from?) & other stuff.

We actually enjoyed a moment of hilarity when one of our co-workers emailed us (& other FMC staff) a funny song about the pancreas.  It was very Monty Python-Esq, if that tells you anything about it!  We laughed hard & were glad to be in a place physically, emotionally & spiritually to do so.

I guess it was the culmination of all of those things that allowed me to hear from God today.  It was as if He was saying to me, "Lighten up!  Look around you & see what I'm doing.  Don't take yourself (or life) so seriously that you miss a chance to enjoy the warmth of the sun on a park bench, the easy conversation with a good friend or the kind of laughter that makes your belly hurt!  After all, I created all of this with you in mind."

So, tonight as I head upstairs to put out a teenage crisis & plunge the toilet (seriously),  I end with this reminder, spoken by Jesus Himself, about you & about me found in John 10:10.  Read it more than once; try substituting your own name for the word "they"; say it aloud as if He is speaking personally to you.  And when you do, may you experience God's shalom:

"The thief comes only to steal & kill & destroy; I have come that [YOUR NAME] may have life, & have it to the full."

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm a little late on catching up on your blog; but I have so enjoyed following your progress. I'm so glad, Suze, that you are starting to feel like a "human" again. What a blessing! Love you guys! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Kelly! I testify to the amazing healing power of sunshine - I love it.

    Thanks for the reminder to lighten up and enjoy what God gives. I'm so glad you all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete