Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dr's appts, Moms, and LOVE.

Yesterday we went to see Dr. Y and it was a good appt. - mostly.
I am finally TUBE FREE after nearly 6 weeks -- and that feels amazing! 
He used the old, "distract her while I pull this very long thing out of her body" technique.
It pretty much worked!
We then talked with him at length about some "systems" issues (not gonna put too fine a point on it here) I continue to have.  He's convinced the Pancreas (what's left of the old girl that is) is not producing enough of the right kinds of enzymes to break down foods.  Uugh.  But, because we live in the times we do -- there is a pill for this.  So now, before every meal, I take a pill which is supposed to aid in this process.  Another reminder that my body has been thru a BIG deal and I've got to give it the time it needs to come back online.  AND (this is a biggie for me friends) there might be some things that just never return to pre-Whipple status. 

I continue to struggle to put weight on and that remains our big concern.  I did not respond to the FULL FAT diet my sister Dawn wanted me on, so now I'm going back to the foods I normally eat and see where we end up.  Put weight on: Such an odd place to be for a middle aged woman in today's culture...not thinking about it too much -- just aware of the curious-ness of it!

My Mom, Mim, with #2 child Katie.
Today was supposed to be a re-group day (after a bit of a rough one yesterday), visit with a friend, do some writing, be at home by moi-self.  But, that plan was not too be.  Woke up feeling rough, missed the middle child's honors breakfast @school, and ended up feeling pretty vulnerable.  So, I called my Mom.  Wow.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to say that.  I am very aware that this is a priviledge of mine, this being able to call my folks and know that, if they can, they'll come get me and watch over me for the day.  My Dad built a fire in the fireplace, the dog and I took a nap smack in front of it, and I kind of hovered around the edge of "yuck" for the day.  But I was being sheltered by my parents until Kelly could come and take over and it made it doable.  This, for me on this day, was LOVE.
I hope, whatever ups and downs your day held today -- you too experienced LOVE.  A conversation, a glance, a song, a laugh, a moment...when you knew, that you knew, that you knew that you are chosen.

Still, REALLY, REALLY grateful,
Suze

No comments:

Post a Comment