Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sabbath & Dr. Y!

However you're honoring the day today -- I hope there's some rest in there just for you.
As I mostly hold down a chair in our family room, I'm reminded more and more of the value of sabbath rest.  This time where you just unapologetic-ally stop and do mostly nothing, for nothing's sake.  I don't think we're particularly good at it -- especially us Americans -- but that doesn't make it wrong to give it a try!  In fact, it's more than right to give it a go!  Take a moment or 20, a half-day or even a full one and just meander around, doing things that bring you LIFE.  Right now, my sabbath includes short walks, visits with friends & family, sitting, lying down, figuring out what to eat, praying, listening to music, writing, and being HOME. You shouldn't have to have major surgery to get you to stop (sadly, that's what it takes for most of us) and wait...
for life to return,
to hear the voice of the God who made & loves you,
to laugh with your children,
to curl up in the sun and close your eyes for "just a minute". 
Give it a go...it's joy, I promise.

Tomorrow we head back to the Doctor for a check-up.  Hopefully I'll also get the feeding tube (that we haven't used once @home) removed.  This would be amazing and just one more step toward "normal".  Although I think "normal" for us might have changed for good a month or so ago!  We've got some questions for him about the next days/weeks and Suze's "systems" (not everything is playing well with others -- enough said) and other details about what's next!  Once again, we are amazed that this world-class surgeon is right here in Fort Wayne, IN and we were able to get into his docket.  Dr. Y, you're a blessing to us!!

Well, I'm headed back to sabbath...gonna find a snack and a patch of sun to curl up in.
Hope you can do the same today or tomorrow...or even Wednesday!! :)

Suze

1 comment:

  1. The weeks following my surgery way back when were the most peaceful and refreshing I had ever had. You're so right - it took having to recuperate to make me be still, be quiet and enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete